Welcome to the Yocto Project Wiki!
The Yocto Project is an open-source project that delivers a set of tools that create operating system images for embedded Linux systems. The Yocto Project tools are based on the OpenEmbedded (OE) project, which uses the BitBake build tool, to construct complete Linux images. BitBake and OE are combined to form a reference build host known as Poky which includes the following core components. This video will help explain what it's all about.
Where to Start?
If you're new to Yocto take a look at the Glossary so you're familiar with the terms used in this wiki and the project documentation. Then take a look at the Quick Start Guide. You can follow the steps in this document to clone the poky repository, quickly configure your build environment, and then try a build. Corporate firewalls can be problematic so network proxy configurations are detailed on the Working Behind a Network Proxy page. We advise you go straight for the Chameleonsocks option.
Where to Next?
Thanks to the quick start guide, it's pretty easy to get your first Linux image and and running. Here are some places to look for help when improving your Yocto skills.
- The first tool you'll need to get familiar with is bitbake, so reading through the user manual is recommended before make any OS configuration changes. You don't need to understand it all right now, but bookmark this page for reference.
- Once you start adding packages and configuring your image to create your own distribution, things can go wrong and it can hard to track down the root cause. There is no shortage of Yocto documentation resource, but if you're not exactly sure what you're looking for this Documentation Decoder will help you out. Also take a look at the Cookbook and troubleshooting guide. Also these books are helpful.
- Some new tools such as Toaster, Extensible SDK and CROPS are making it easier to get the best out of Yocto on Windows and Mac OS X. Take a look at the new workflow in Developer Workflow Improvements.
- There is also a Tips and Tricks section where more experienced developers contribute to articles that will help those new to Yocto Project.
Project Planning for v2.2 (Current)
Project Status and Schedule for v2.2
QA & Automation
Wiki reference sitemap
- Documentation Decoder
- Working Behind a Network Proxy
- FAQ and Technical FAQ. These need to be unified.
- Cookbook and Tips and Tricks. Need clear messaging on how these should be differentiated.
- Developer Workflow Improvements
- Planning and Governance
- Community Guidelines
- Yocto Project Release Engineering
- License Infrastructure
- Processes and Activities
- Yocto Interest Groups
- Testopia - The Yocto Project's community-opened test case management platform
- Toaster - the web interface
- Archive - Graveyard for out of date articles.
- Yocto Project Front Page
- Yocto Project Git Source Repos
- Yocto Project Bugzilla
- Yocto Project Mailing Lists
- Yocto Project Recipe Reporting System
- Yocto Project Autobuilder Waterfall Page
- Yocto Project Autobuilder Splash/Info Page
- Yocto Project Releases
- Yocto Project Nightly Build Images
- Upstream Sources Mirror
- OpenEmbedded Wiki
- OpenEmbedded Git Repos
- OpenEmbedded Community Layers
- OpenEmbedded Patch Tracking System
- IRC: irc.freenode.net
- #yocto - Public discussions on the Yocto Project.
- #oe - Public discussions on OpenEmbedded Core.