Glossary of Terms and Acronyms
Back to Yocto Project Main Page.
Here is a list of basic terms users new to the Yocto Project might find helpful. For a more complete list of terms, see the "Yocto Project Terms" section in the Yocto Project Development Manual.
- Yocto Project: A Linux Foundation project that acts as an umbrella for various efforts to improve Embedded Linux.
- OpenEmbedded: The build system architecture promoted by the Yocto Project.
- BitBake: A tool that reads metadata and runs tasks.
- OpenEmbedded-Core: The common base set of metadata that BitBake uses. This metadata is shared between OpenEmbedded and the Yocto Project.
- Poky: A reference distribution used for test and release purposes by the Yocto Project.
Major Yocto Project versions release on a six-month cycle in April and October. Releases tend to known by their name rather than release number.
- BSP Board Support Package
- CCB Change Control Board
- PMP Program Management Plan
- POR Plan of Record
- PRD Product Requirements Document