Yocto Project Weekly Status September 12th, 2023
Current Dev Position: YP 4.3 M4 (Feature Freeze)
Next Deadline: 2nd October 2023 YP 4.3 M4 build date
Next Team Meetings:
- Bug Triage meeting Thursday September 14th 7:30 am PDT (https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09)
- Weekly Engineering Sync Tuesday September 12th 8 am PDT (https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09)
- Twitch - See https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester
- We are now at feature freeze for 4.3 and 4.3 M3 is in QA
- The numpy reproducibility issue is not solved unfortunately
- There are continuing intermittent ptest issues for openssh and glib-networking amongst other issues
- The testing for qemuppc and qemumips/qemumips64 has been reduced and we’re no longer testing core-image-sato-sdk on these platforms.
- SPDX manifests are now enabled by default for OE-Core/nodistro as well as poky.
- Patches have been resubmitted to radically alter the do_unpack process for license compliance reasons. The code is complex and hard to understand and will have a performance impact on builds as well as making things hard to debug. *The risk of not taking the changes is that for some legal departments, the SPDX data isn’t detailed enough. The compromise between performance and ease of use vs. legal requirements is a tough one. We don’t really want to have two codepaths either. Feedback/review on the series welcome.
- We’re happy to be able to announce that some of the work in the RFQ will now be progressing, specifically that:
- Marta Rybczynska will be working on the security topic
- Alexander Kanvin will be working on the core workflow topic
- Savoir-faire Linux will be working on the toaster and VSCode topics
- BayLibre will be working on the patchtest and project tooling topics
- Michael Opdenacker (Bootlin) will be working on the binary distro topic
- Smile will be working on the meta-openembedded topic area
We’d also note that Tim Orling (Konsulko) will be working on the layer index.
Ways to contribute:
- As people are likely aware, the project has a number of components which are either unmaintained, or have people with little to no time trying to keep them alive. These components include: patchtest, layerindex, devtool, toaster, wic, oeqa, autobuilder, CROPs containers, pseudo and more. Many have open bugs. Help is welcome in trying to better look after these components!
- There are bugs identified as possible for newcomers to the project: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers
- There are bugs that are currently unassigned for YP 4.2. See: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_4.2_Unassigned_Enhancements.2FBugs
- We’d welcome new maintainers for recipes in OE-Core. Please see the list at: http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc and discuss with the existing maintainer, or ask on the OE-Core mailing list. We will likely move a chunk of these to “Unassigned” soon to help facilitate this.
- Help is very much welcome in trying to resolve our autobuilder intermittent issues. You can see the list of failures we’re continuing to see by searching for the “AB-INT” tag in bugzilla: https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT.
- Help us resolve CVE issues: CVE metrics
- We have a growing number of bugs in bugzilla, any help with them is appreciated.
YP 4.3 Milestone Dates:
- YP 4.3 M3 is in QA
- YP 4.3 M4 build date 2023/10/02
- YP 4.3 M4 Release date 2023/10/27
Upcoming dot releases:
- YP 3.1.28 build date 2023/09/18
- YP 3.1.28 Release date 2023/09/29
- YP 4.0.13 build date 2023/09/25
- YP 4.0.13 Release date 2023/10/06
- YP 3.1.29 build date 2023/10/30
- YP 3.1.29 Release date 2023/11/10
- YP 4.0.14 build date 2023/11/06
- YP 4.0.14 Release date 2023/11/17
- YP 4.2.4 build date 2023/11/13
- YP 4.2.4 Release date 2023/11/24
- YP 3.1.30 build date 2023/12/11
- YP 3.1.30 Release date 2023/12/22
- YP 4.0.15 build date 2023/12/18
- YP 4.0.15 Release date 2023/12/29
- WDD 2530 (last week 2500) (https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
- OE-Core/Poky Patch Metrics
- Total patches found: 1186 (last week 1185)
- Patches in the Pending State: 255 (22%) [last week 254 (21%)]
The Yocto Project’s technical governance is through its Technical Steering Committee, more information is available at: