Temp meta-intel release notes
From Yocto Project
Following are features, updates, and known issues for this v1.4 release of the meta-intel layer of the Yocto Project.
New Features and Updates
- LTSI Kernel: The v1.4 release of the meta-intel BSPs now also include LTSI enabled v3.4 kernel recipes along with the default (v3.8.4) linux-yocto kernel recipes.
- The emenlow BSP has been changed to use the Intel EMGD graphics driver stack in place of the earlier Poulsbo Graphics Driver Stack.
- A new emenlow-noemgd BSP has been created which uses fully open source gma500 graphics driver stack.
- A new nuc BSP has been created to support Intel’s Next Unit of Computing platforms.
- The EMGD graphics driver stack has been upgraded from v1.14 to the latest, v1.16 for all the meta-intel BSPs using the Intel EMGD graphics stack, namely crownbay, emenlow, fri2 and sys940x.
- All the meta-intel BSPs using Intel Linux graphics stack, namely sugarbay, chiefriver and nuc, now utilize the version 2012Q4 of the Intel Linux Graphics Stack.
- For the fri2-noemgd BSP, X is enabled for different supported hardware platforms, by using the fbdev X driver in place of the earlier vesa X driver.
- The method of specifying BSP Video Acceleration configuration has been changed in this release. Instead of using the VA_FEATURES variable a new variable named MACHINE_HWCODECS is used to specify which video codecs to include in the generated image.
- For all the meta-Intel BSPs the default kernel recipe which is Linux-yocto is updated to v3.8.4.
- New Linux-yocto-dev kernel recipes, which are used for development of the next kernel are now provided for these meta-intel BSPs: chiefriver, crownbay, crownbay-noemgd, emenlow, emenlow-noemgd, fri2, fri2-noemgd, jasperforest, nuc, sugarbay, sys940x, sys940x-noemgd
- v3.4 of real time kernel recipes (linux-yocto-rt_v3.4) are now provided for these meta-intel BSPs: chiefriver, crownbay, crownbay-noemgd, crystalforest, emenlow, emenlow-noemgd, fri2, fri2-noemgd, jasperforest, n450, nuc, sugarbay, sys940x, sys940x-noemgd
- v3.8 of real time kernel recipes (linux-yocto-rt_v3.8) are now provided for these meta-intel BSPs: chiefriver, crownbay, crownbay-noemgd, emenlow, emenlow-noemgd, fri2, fri2-noemgd, jasperforest, n450, nuc, sugarbay, sys940x, sys940x-noemgd
- As part of the BSP retirement process, the Cedartrail BSP has been retired from the Yocto Project as of this 1.4 release. But the 1.3 version of the BSP is still available and maintained with critical bug fixes.
- [Bug #4180] USB devices auto disabling: On the Sugarbay platform, it is observed that some of the USB devices were getting automatically disabled within few seconds of inactivity. A workaround for this issue is: pass boot parameter usbcore.autosuspend=-1 to the kernel, which avoids this auto suspension. This issue is observed with the v3.8.4 kernel, and may also show on other hardware platforms.