Yocto 1.1 Schedule

From Yocto Project
Revision as of 15:33, 5 October 2011 by Song (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Yocto Project 1.1 (release date: October 6, 2011)


The detailed milestone map for the 1.1 release of Yocto Project is as below. To view the Yocto schedule-at-a-glance, go to YoctoCalendar

pre-M1 (March 14 to April 18 -- Feature List and Schedule Defined April 18)

  • Features Submitted to web - by April 1st
  • Features prioritized and added to schedule - by April 12th

pre-M1 COMPLETED

M1 (Apr 18 to Jun 13 -- Design Complete Apr 25, Dev Complete May 23, Stabilize Complete Jun 6, Release Complete Jun 13)

M1 Design (Apr 18 to Apr 22)

Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
3G - Design We have an ofono recipe but need some integration work done. This milestone is a status check and design update. HW needs to be received at this time. 2 Done Meta-data Saul (Dongxiao) M1, Sprint C - design done; implementation starting; team in PRC will work on getting machine with 3G modem and SIM card; if there are kernel issues, vendor needs to add this in BSP
Automatically generate package repos - design automatically generate package repositories (and be able to \"use them\" -- to be defined) for both ipk and rpm/zypper combinations; also, documentation of this process is essential; this stage is the design phase. 2 Done Team Saul (Dexuan) M1, Design
OE Autobuilder rename 1 Done Beth Beth M1, Design
Strip out LSB, non-LSB build work Remove the LSB, non-LSB build work done at the end of 1.0 and re-incorporate it with sstate 1 Done Beth Beth M1, Design - one minor problem

M1 Sprint A (Apr 25 to Apr 29)

Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
OE-Core Restructuring, renaming, rebranding 1 Done RP Notes Richard M1, Sprint A - only remaining piece is for OE Core to work without setting a distro (wasn\'t originally scheduled) - this is a new task for EO this week
SDK support in sanity test framework This task includes enabling unfs and toolchain testing in sanity test framework, enabling toolchain testing on PRC autobuilder 1 Done QA Jiajun/Meilei M1, Sprint A
User Creation at preinstall - status check Design status check 1 Done RP Notes Mark (ScottG) M1, Sprint A architecture was sent out as RFC
Check SRCREV in recipe files should work, may need dev 2 Done RP Notes Richard/Ke M1, Sprint A
Refactor BSPs to use topic branches crownbay and fish river island BSP need to be changed to make use of the new eg20t/emgd/gma500 topic branches 2 Done Tom Tom M1, Sprint A When other branches (ex. FRI 2) are added, they will use topic branches.
Retrospective Hold a retrospective to discuss what went well and what can be improved in 1.1 with the meta-data team. 1 Done Beth Beth M1, Sprint A

M1 Sprint B (May 2 to May 6)

Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
Layer Tooling - Design Design/Architect the Layer Tooling approach 1 Done Architect Richard M1 Sprint B Paul and PRC discussed this morning, and Paul has had some discussion with Richard. Don\'t have 100% of schedule.
Test Plan Create an overall Test Plan for 1.1 and post on Wiki 1 Done Jiajun Jiajun M1, Sprint B
Sync qemugl with MeeGo - Status check This is a status check on how the work to sync qemugl with MeeGo is going. Completion set for M1, Sprint D. 2 Done Meta-data Saul (Edwin) M1, Sprint B - on track.
Finish LSB \"distribution\" work - QT3 QT3 work is complete. 2 Done Meta-data WR Distro Team M1, Sprint B - patch is pending, need to figure out landing location
Incompatible License Design and Review milestone 2 Done Paul Paul M1, Sprint B - See RFC at http://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg01078.html
init scripts provide an image/recipe skeleton as a canonical example 3 Done RP Notes WR Distro Team/Robert M1, Sprint B; Owner: WR Distro Team
Changes for Image Creator - phase 1 Phase 1: add mechanism to enable selection of server backend at runtime 1 Done ADT Team Jessica M1, Sprint B
Package Documentation Audit Make changes defined in the package documentation audit from Yocto 1.0 2 Done from 1.0 Scott G M1, Sprint B
Fast boot analysis Perform analysis to determine how best to implement a 2 second boot time 1 Done Darren Darren M1, Sprint B - Darren has provided kernel data - http://dvhart.com/darren/yocto/boottime/. Still needs to do user space.
Build Yocto behind firewall - plan Josh/Darren define plan 2 Done Dave Darren, Joshua M1, Sprint B - Josh put some comments and linked to git tree with a sanity check in bug 933. Josh put his plan and code beginnings in bugzilla.

M1 Sprint C (May 9 to May 13)

Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
crazygit fetcher TI issues with fetch2 - per LCS - should this be a P1? 2 Done RP Notes Saul (Ke) M1, Sprint C
multi-lib infrastructure - bbclass extend multi-lib support for 32-bit & 64-bit and capable of being installed at the same time - infrastructure in place (bbclass extend) 1 Done from 1.0 Richard (Qing) M1, Sprint C
Upstream our patches - phase 1 Have upstream status updated on 90% of patches (so that we can have a status update) 1 Done Meta-data Saul M1, Sprint C - at 85% in master
3G - Design We have an ofono recipe but need some integration work done. This milestone is a status check and design update. HW needs to be received at this time. 2 Done Meta-data Saul (Dongxiao) M1, Sprint C - design done; implementation starting; team in PRC will work on getting machine with 3G modem and SIM card; if there are kernel issues, vendor needs to add this in BSP
Automatically generate package repos - complete automatically generate package repositories (and be able to \"use them\" -- to be defined) for both ipk and rpm/zypper combinations as discussed during the Design phase; also, documentation of this process is essential 2 Done Team Saul (Dexuan) M1, Sprint C - bug 1012
network based PR service A network based service to repot PR value based on poky task checksum 2 Done RP Notes Jessica M1, Sprint C
BSP image creation Add text on the website that tells users how to create images from the BSP source. Note: This may include a script to enable the creation. 1 Done Tracey Scott/Beth M1, Sprint C
Tarball Doc process Right now tarball docs are frozen shortly before a release. The tarball never gets updated beyond that during subsequent documentation development. However, website docs are periodically updated as changes are made during the next development cycle. We need a documentation process where the tarball docs are updated along with the website docs. Perhaps releasing and building a separate documentation tarball is an answer... This whole scheme needs thought about and something implemented. 1 Done From scratch ScottR M1, Sprint C - Just waiting for yocto-docs repo to be merged.
Enhanced Performance Also, environmental requirements/suggestions for expected performance - long-term goal is to build in under 1 hour; short-term goal is to build faster than v1.0This is a task to define the performance plan. 1 Done from 1.0 Richard/Dongxiao M1, Sprint C - Richard sent out summary email summarizing where we are at for performance. 90 minutes is possible. 60 minutes TBD.
kernel port to 2.6.37 Port the kernel to 2.6.37 1 Done Darren Darren M1, Sprint C - complete, pending pull from Saul

M1 Sprint D (May 16 to May 20)

Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
Image Creator - 1.0 finish finish the Image Creator to add features pushed out from 1.0 - See https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/PostOneOh for details 1 Done from 1.0 Josh M1 Sprint D - RFP Sent
Finish LSB \"distribution\" work - ID failures Identify issues in order to: Merge patches which are pushed during yocto 1.0. Add packages(qt3,xdg-* ...) LSB Test Suite need. Hardware platform x86 and ppc32(if qt4 can be supported) can be finished. 2 Done Meta-data WR Distro Team M1, Sprint D
OE Comparison Compare Yocto core set against integration work in OE and other distributions looking for bug fixes, (relevant) feature enhancements, and integration/policy hints. 1 Done Meta-data Mark M1, Sprint D
x32 - plan layer to support toolchain, libc, and kernel - Plan created 2 Done RP Notes Saul (Nitin) M1, Sprint D
Upgrade to gcc 4.6 Need to upgrade toolchain to gcc 4.6 1 Done Nitin Nitin M1, Sprint D
License tracking Get common licenses for all packages and consolidate base file licenses. (takes ~3 days) 1 Done Beth Beth M1, Sprint D
License tracking Build a parser to do license tracking more gracefully and make sure all recipes are correct. (takes ~2 weeks) 1 Done Beth Beth M1, Sprint D
Fix Documentation Publishing fix our documentation publishing so that documents can be published at any time 1 Done Beth Beth/Scott M1, Sprint D, not merged yet, target: 6/2/11

M1 Stabilize (May 23 to June 3)

Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
Be prepared for Distro upgrades Our release is right around the time of the 6monthly distro release dates, we should accommodate for this in our testing plan 2 Accept Joshua Jiajun check latest distribution in M1 Stabilize, M2 Stabilize, and M3 Stabilize and test them in milestone testing; Should we include more Distributions, besides fedora, ubuntu and opensuse?
Test Execution Plan Create a Test Execution Plan for the milestone and send to developers 1 Done Jiajun Jiajun M1 Stabilize; M2 Stabilize; M3 Stabilize

Stabilize schedule

Week 1

  • Day 1, 2: Weekly test pass
  • Day 3: Pre-Release Readiness meeting
  • If there are issues:
    • Day 4, 5: Fix issues and repeat Week 1
  • If there are not issues:
    • Day 4, 5 and beginning of Week 2: Complete a full test pass

Week 2

  • Day 1, 2, 3: Complete full test pass
  • Day 4: Release Readiness meeting
  • If there are issues, fix and repeat from Week 1
  • If there are not issues, proceed to Release phase

M1 Release (June 6 to June 13)

Follow Release Checklist, which includes:

  • Release is packaged on autobuilder site
  • Release is announced to community via mailing lists and blog

M2 (May 30 to Jul 25 -- Design Complete Jun 6, Dev Complete Jul 4, Stabilize Complete Jul 18, Release Complete Jul 25)

M2 Design (May 30 to June 3)

* Working week.  No tasks complete this week.
Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Package config option enhancement - Plan Plan our approach to package config option enhancement 2 Yes Done Richard M2, Design M2, Design, reached community consensus
Image Creator M2 design * Solicit feedback on current state - Josh
* Investigate issues which prompted alternative entry point - Josh - modifying layers - buildFile vs. buildTarget (run multiple builds in succession) - add dev-pkgs as IMAGE_FEATURES when development headers selected?
* Confirm before cancelling a build - Josh-
1 Yes Done Joshua Jessica M2, Design M2, Design

M2 Sprint A (June 6 to June 10)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Upstream our patches - phase 2 (ongoing, maintenance), update, bug fixing, patch upstreaming 1 Yes on-going Saul n/a M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D, will get 30% upstreamable patches handled for M2/Sprint C, 2011.6.27: due date is next Monday, will check it then. 2011.7.4: we got about 14 pending patches proceeded, 2 accepted.
Layer Tooling - Architecture Implement Layer Tooling changes 1 Yes Done Richard (Paul/Daoxien will help) M2, Sprint A M2 Sprint A, under design review
LayerTooling – combo layer tool Tool to manage combination repos (e.g. the poky repo) 1 Yes Done Ke M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A
Changes for Image Creator - phase 3 * Notify of long running operations - busy cursor - move progress into main UI and desensitise widgets - ensure progress bar shown when appropriate * Fix removing *all* packages * Ability to switch from completed build to build generator UI 1 Yes Done Joshua Jessica M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A, partially moved to Sprint B
Change for Image Creator (one fix) Fix Bitbake report “ERROR: Nothing to do…” when exit HOB 1 Yes Done Lianhao Jessica M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A, Richard to review this one
User Creation at preinstall - complete Deliverable completed 1 Yes Done Mark (ScottG) Mark M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A, Richard to review
cache reimplementation Phase 2: Bug fix for 7.70 1 Yes Done Jessica Richard M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A
Performance Improvements - split libc a) Split libc locale generation from libc do_install/do_package 1 Yes Done Dongxiao Richard M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A, sent second version
Performance Improvements - remove perl-native from bld dep e) Remove perl-native from most build dependencies by installing it into its own sysroot 1 Yes Done Dexuan Richard M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A
More test cases about toolchain in autobuilder 2 Yes Done Jessica Jessica M2, Sprint A
Package reporting system enhancement http://packages.yoctoproject.org 2 Yes Done Saul (Lei) Saul M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A, 2011.7.4: Send the patch to Saul, already merged by Saul but Saul has issue to run it (locally we don\'t have issues), Saul suggests to wait for the new server to come to him and have another try.
Tracing: Add Systemtap support for userspace tracing Add utrace, etc 2 Yes Done Tom n/a M2, Sprint A M2, Sprint A,

M2 Sprint B (June 13 to June 17)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Upstream our patches - phase 2 (ongoing, maintenance), update, bug fixing, patch upstreaming 1 Yes on-going Saul n/a M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D, will get 30% upstreamable patches handled for M2/Sprint C, 2011.6.27: due date is next Monday, will check it then. 2011.7.4: we got about 14 pending patches proceeded, 2 accepted.
Image Creator: Fix sorting and spacing in tree views Fix sorting and spacing in tree views 1 Yes Done Joshua Jessica M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B, moved from Sprint C
Error handling in bitbake (Design) Performance improvement (gather input from community on use cases) 1 Yes Done Saul (Scott G) Richard M2,Sprint B M2, Sprint B, bugs (enhancement) filed in bugzilla to track the work needed for this
LayerTooling – output info enhancement 1) Show a parse error if a bbappend matches no existing bb. 1 Yes Done Dexuan M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B, will send out the second version this week
kernel bloat - analysis (Design) target = boot a minimal image in < 8M - analysis complete 1 Yes Done Darren M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B, need to have specifics and design
Image Creator: Fix reset/build again Fix reset/build again 1 Yes Done Lianhao Jessica M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B, patch already in Joshua\'s tree
Meta targets Part of the challenge of autobuilder is that you have to go into autobuilder, edit script, reconfigure, to change just one build target. This is error prone. What we need is a meta-target where Beth can say she wants to build Poky-image-sato for QEMU x86 and have it just do that. Beth thinks this is done via an override to the web page. (takes ~2 weeks) 1 Yes Done Beth Saul? M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B, demo already done, should be done on 6/21/11
Performance Improvements - share src dirs b) Share the source directories for gcc, glibc and maybe others 1 Yes Done WR Distro Team (Robert) Richard M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B, Sprint A - RP wrote a proof of concept patch, needs further work, on Yocto schedule for 1.1 (duplicate)
Package Documentation Audit: 50% of recipes build 31 recipes were identified as not building during the package documentation audit done in M1, Sprint B. This is a status check to ensure we have made progress on 1/2 of them. 2 Yes Done Scott G M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B
Performance Improvements - CCACHE per recipe c) Set CCACHE on a per recipe basis. need to figure out whether ccache data can be shared and under what circumstances. 2 Yes Done WR Distro team (Wenzong Fan) Richard M2, Sprint B M2, Sprint B - , second revision

M2 Sprint C (June 20 to June 24)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Upstream our patches - phase 2 (ongoing, maintenance), update, bug fixing, patch upstreaming 1 Yes on-going Saul n/a M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D, will get 30% upstreamable patches handled for M2/Sprint C, 2011.6.27: due date is next Monday, will check it then. 2011.7.4: we got about 14 pending patches proceeded, 2 accepted.
LayerTooling - Dependency handling Dependency handling 1 Yes Done Paul M2, Sprint C M2 Sprint C, dependent on Sprint C item (LayerTooling), check next Tuesday
LayerTooling – layer merging tool Tool to merge (flatten) several layers into one 1 Done Paul M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C, under review (richard)
LayerTooling – banner enhancement Update banner info to show layers being used and revisions/branches for each one if available 1 Done Paul M2, Sprint C moved from M2 Sprint B
LayerTooling – bitbake-layer enhancement 1) bitbake-layers: stop it displaying the warning message about not being run from the wrapper 2) bitbake-layers: extend it to show overridden (\"cloaked\") recipes. 1 Done Dexuan M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C, in Poky master
Image Creator: fix alternate entry point and other server issues * based on feedback fix alternate entry point and other server issues * Image output type dropdown 1 Yes Done Joshua Jessica M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C, Moved from Sprint B
Error handling in bitbake (Implementation): Stage 1 Performance improvement (gather input from community on use cases) 1 Yes Done Saul (Scott G) M2, Sprint C Moved from M2, Sprint B, opened 6 bugs o track this, 2 bugs for M2 (1128, 1142)
adding eglibc config control this goes with the package config options 1.5 Yes Done Kang Kai Mark M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C
Directory Ownership Package Permissions Synchronization 1.5 Yes Done Mark Richard M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint B, Sprint A, more complicated than thought, moved to Sprint C
btrfs Image creation 2 Done Saul (Nitin) M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C, image creations Done, kernel enabling waiting for kernel upgrade
PAM patch integration - Stage 1 Identify which Yocto recipes will be PAM-enabled. Deliverable: A final list of which packages we need to enable PAM for. The list must be reviewed and approved by both Richard and Mark Hatle before it is considered complete. 2 Done Scott G (Kai Kang ) M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C
Implement Continuous Autobuilds Build constantly instead of daily (need fuzz builds for this. once fuzz builds are implemented, this is trivial) 2 Done Beth Saul M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint C, Done and in new autobuilder repo (not public until completely tested)
Finish LSB \"distribution\" work - complete Complete all work: Merge patches which are pushed during yocto 1.0. Add packages(qt3,xdg-* ...) LSB Test Suite need. Hardware platform x86 and ppc32(if qt4 can be supported) can be finished. 2 Yes Done WR Distro Team (Xiaofeng Yan) Mark M2, Sprint C M2, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, stablize LSB in M2, on going, pending Saul to merge the patches

M2 Sprint D (June 27 to July 1)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Ongoing kernel maintenance There should be a task spread out over the whole release, say 10% of one person\'s time (just a guess), for monitoring LKML and Linus\' master branch, and/or relevant lists for patches relevant to the BSPs we maintain. We also need to figure out if Bruce needs help with the management of the base branches e.g. re-enabling features after kernel uprevs, moving feature tags forward, etc. 1 on-going Bruce M2, Sprint D Owner = Bruce, M2 4th Sprint, post 1.1
Upstream our patches - phase 2 (ongoing, maintenance), update, bug fixing, patch upstreaming 1 Yes on-going Saul n/a M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D M1, M2, M3, M4, Sprint A, Sprint B, Sprint C, Sprint D, will get 30% upstreamable patches handled for M2/Sprint C, 2011.6.27: due date is next Monday, will check it then. 2011.7.4: we got about 14 pending patches proceeded, 2 accepted.
Image Creator polish polish and refine Image Creator - See https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/BitBake/GUI/PostOneOh for details 1 Yes Done Joshua Jessica M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D
BBXM Pull in bits from OE (kernel) 1 Yes Done Darren Richard M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D
Clean up warning messages A build that runs correctly to completion still includes a ton of WARNING messages. We need a project to clean these up. Beth will work on License Warnings, team will look at other logfile warnings 2 on-going Saul M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D
3G - Complete We have an ofono recipe but need some integration work done - This milestone checks that 3G is complete. 2 Done Saul (Dongxiao) M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D
PAM patch integration - Stage 2 Identify the sources of upstream PAM patches to use. Deliverable: A list of our recipes to PAM-enable and the source of patches we intend to use for each recipe. This list must be reviewed and approved by Scott before it is considered complete. 2 Done Scott G (Kai Kang) M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D
BSP builds Autobuilder git fetcher improvements (3 days) 2 Done Beth M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D
Share gcc work directories 2 Done WR Distro Team (Robert) M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D, Robert is working on this
remove gnome-vfs 3 Done Saul (Edwin) M2, Sprint D M2, Sprint D

M2 Stabilize (July 4 to July 15)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Source Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Be prepared for Distro upgrades Our release is right around the time of the 6monthly distro release dates, we should accommodate for this in our testing plan 2 Yes Done Joshua Jiajun M1, M2, M3, Stabilize check latest distribution in M1 Stabilize, M2 Stabilize, and M3 Stabilize and test them in milestone testing; Should we include more Distributions, besides fedora, ubuntu and opensuse?
Test Execution Plan Create a Test Execution Plan for the milestone and send to developers 1 Yes Done Jiajun Jiajun M1, M2, M3, Stabilize M1 Stabilize; M2 Stabilize; M3 Stabilize
PAM patch integration - Stage 3 Develop a test/verification plan for PAM featuresDeliverable: wiki page describing how to validate that the desired PAM features are working. 2 Done Meta-data Scott G M2, Stabilize M2, Stabilize

Stabilize schedule

Week 1

  • Day 1, 2: Weekly test pass
  • Day 3: Pre-Release Readiness meeting
  • If there are issues:
    • Day 4, 5: Fix issues and repeat Week 1
  • If there are not issues:
    • Day 4, 5 and beginning of Week 2: Complete a full test pass

Week 2

  • Day 1, 2, 3: Complete full test pass
  • Day 4: Release Readiness meeting
  • If there are issues, fix and repeat from Week 1
  • If there are not issues, proceed to Release phase

M2 Release (July 18 to July 22)

Follow Release Checklist, which includes:

  • Release is packaged on autobuilder site
  • Release is announced to community via mailing lists and blog

M3 (Jul 11 to Aug 15 -- Design Complete Jul 18, Dev Complete Jul 27, Stabilize Complete Aug 8, Release Complete Aug 15)

M3 Design (Jul 11 to Jul 15)

* Working week.
Feature Name Description Priority Status Source Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
PAM patch integration - Stage 4 Perform PAM patch integrationDeliverable: A single pull request from Scott (containing SOB\'s by both Robert and Scott) which includes updated recipes/patches for all the recipes on the list created during Stage 1. 2 Done Meta-data Scott G (Robert) M3, Design

M3 Sprint A (Jul 18 to Jul 27)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Autobuilder maintenance Bring scripts into configuration or get git repo working for those that can\'t be brought in. 1 Yes Done Beth Saul M3, Sprint A Moved from M2, Sprint C. Done
Additions to build stats 1 Yes Done Beth M3, Sprint A M3, Sprint A. pull request on 8/2/11
Publish Shared State Publish the shared state information. 2 Risky Review Beth M3, Sprint A M3, Sprint A if Richard confirms some answers to questions
build statistics reporting As someone interested in how long it takes to build different images on different hardware configurations and other assorted build metrics, I would like a web based service, that takes output generated by an extended buildstats.bbclass and stores it, to compare against different machines. The end result should be a way to visualize the collected data. See: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Buildbot_Autobuilder_Discussions 2 Risky M3, Sprint A Beth/Jay M3, Sprint A M3, Sprint A - discussions posted on Wiki
BSP config cleanup BSP config cleanup/refactoring. Update to new kernel rev. Investigate Kconfig alignment 1 Yes Done Bruce M3, Sprint A Owner = Bruce, moved from M2, 4th Sprint
Ongoing kernel maintenance There should be a task spread out over the whole release, say 10% of one person\'s time (just a guess), for monitoring LKML and Linus\' master branch, and/or relevant lists for patches relevant to the BSPs we maintain. We also need to figure out if Bruce needs help with the management of the base branches e.g. re-enabling features after kernel uprevs, moving feature tags forward, etc. 1 Yes Done Bruce M3, Sprint A Owner = Bruce, moved from M2 4th Sprint. 7/18/11: in progress, we won't complete this until M3/M4, when the 3.0 kernel is made available. This is on-track. The M2 version of this exists, and it has been cloned to M3. M3 target met
Kernel Tools Implement plan for kernel tools 2 Risky Dev Bruce M3, Sprint A Owner = Bruce, moved from M2, 4th Sprint, optional, so putting it after the more defined items like upreving the kernel
BSP kernel config audit Audit kernel configs for the various BSPS. Should not be limited to just kernel config options -- it should also include discussion of overall strategies for defining and managing base branches, feature topic branches, config features, etc, and should result in not only the current kernels being changed to match, but also BKMs being published somewhere, probably in the kernel manual. 1 Yes Done Bruce M3, Sprint A Owner = Bruce, M1, 4th Sprint, first level audit is done in M1
use cases BSP config streamlining, building the kernel standalone, yoctoization, meta data sharing 1 Risky Dev Bruce M3, Sprint A Owner = Bruce, moved from M3, 1st Sprint, not code based, can be done after M3, risky for M3
inter-core comms investigate/report/merge intercore communication methods (mcapi, dsplink,etc). extend as appropriate 2 Yes Done Bruce M3, Sprint A Owner = Bruce, moved from M2, Sprint C, speculative
kernel bloat - development target = boot a minimal image in < 8M - development complete 1 Risky Dev Darren M3, Sprint A moved from M2, Sprint D, 7/11/11: image size has been significantly reduced, trying to track down 20M qemu memory requirement
Fast boot time 2 second boot time target 1 Risky Dev Darren M3, Sprint A M3, Sprint A - analysis will be complete to show where slowdown is coming from (BIOS or elsewhere); the earliest we can get a system that can use BLDK is August 1st, so getting to the 2s target in 1.1 is not likely. Design done. Needs someone to sign off
Build Yocto behind firewall - implementation 2 Risky Dev Darren/Joshua Darren M3, Sprint A Moved from M2
Multi-lib - 2 Extend MULTILIB class extension to recipes required to build: minimal image. This task also could include a better way of specifying which recipes to extend. 1 Yes Done Dongxiao Richard M3, Sprint A can build to minimal image.
Indigo update Update to the latest Eclipse release (Indigo) 2 Yes Done Jessica Jessica M3, Sprint A Status check in M2, Sprint B, M3, Sprint A, moved from M2
perf scripting\' integration Make it easy and convenient for the user to write and execute \'perf scripts\' from the IDE. We should be able to leverage and build on the Systemtap integration for this. 2 Risky Dev Jessica/Tom Jessica M3, Sprint A Status check in M2, Sprint B, M3, Sprint A, depend on 2 features on perf scripting from Tom, need revisit in M2, Sprint B, candidate of being dropped, moved from M2
Multi-lib - 1 Change libdir to \"lib64\" for qemux86-64 and see what breaks 1 Yes Done Ke Richard M3, Sprint A 1 week, moved from M2, 2011.7.11: fixed minimal, sato, and satosdk images. Next step is to fix LSB and world images.
Multi-lib - 3 Extend MULTILIB class extension to recipes required to build - LSB image, Sato image 2 Yes done Ke Richard M3, Sprint A 1 week
Multi-lib - 5 Add support to bitbake to pass BBEXTEND parameters from options like bitbake -b where filenames are specified on the command line 2 Yes with risk Done Ke Richard M3, Sprint A 1 week, small, risky
Multi-lib - 7 Investigate better TARGET_VENDOR handling for config.sub. Currently we can only have ARCH-VENDOR-linux where VENDOR cannot contain \"-\" but it might be possible to relax that constraint [not high priority]. 2 Yes with risk Dev Ke Richard M3, Sprint A Probably just half a day\'s work, small, risky
Multi-lib - 4 Add support to standard opkg backend to allow parallel install of multilib variant packages 1 Yes Done Lianhao Richard M3, Sprint A 1 week, moved from M2, depending on multi-lib 8 &9
Image Creator: HOB performance enhancement HOB performance enhancement 1 Yes Done Liping Jessica M3, Sprint A moved from M2, Sprint B, Liping can\'t work on that now since Josh will do some changes on hob, but the demo already sent to Josh
Multi-lib - 8 Add support to RPM packaging backend to turn modified package names into true rpm multilib packages 1 Yes with risk Done Mark Richard M3, Sprint A POC code by the end of M2, Sprint D, Richard is finishing up this.
LayerTooling – remote layer tool Consider integrating Jeremy Puhlman\'s remote layers patch 2 Risky Dev Paul M3, Sprint A Jeramy is working on this, moved from M2, Sprint C, 7/11/11: now have the beginnings of an external tool which can use bitbake\'s fetchers for fetching metadata (without any initial metadata present, just bitbake) however it needs some work
Multi-lib - 9 Overhaul architecture, ABI, optimization configuration files with a view to better structure (and ease specifying multilib configurations) 1 Yes Done Richard Richard M3, Sprint A
Multi-lib - 10 Reconsolidate multilib + multilibcross class differences 1 Yes Done Richard Richard M3, Sprint A
Upstream our patches - phase 3 Another round of updates is complete 1 Yes on-going Saul M3, Sprint A M3, Sprint A, 2011.7.18: we got 6 accepted, 2 are pending as the repos are not migrated to yoctoprojec.org, 1 is still pending because it needs more work
Live images make live images their own image type 2 Risky Done Saul Richard M3, Sprint A moved from M2, Sprint B
x32 - implementation layer to support toolchain, libc, and kernel - x32 is complete 2 Yes Done Saul (Nitin) M3, Sprint A Moved from M2, Sprint D, working without multi-lib. Done, pending merge.
btrfs Kernel enabling 2 Risky Dev Saul (Nitin) M3, Sprint A image creations Done, kernel enabling waiting for kernel upgrade
Demo Need to determine what we will do for demo and find an owner 1 Yes Done Song Song M3, Sprint A Moved from M2, Sprint D - The Yocto Advocacy team is discussing. Yocto PM will monitor to see what engineering work is needed. (impact team deliverable)
Alpha Begin an alpha program after the stabilization period for M3. 1 Yes Done Song M3, Sprint A M3, Sprint A, plan in place
Tracing: Systemtap usability in Yocto Right now, there are instructions on the wiki on how to configure and use Systemtap with Yocto. While straightforward, they are tedious and unlikely to be useful to most people pressed for time. We need to make it easier to use - in addition to documentation/HOWTO tasks listed elsewhere on this page, we need to make it usable \'out of the box\' (i.e. outside of ADT) e.g. all paths and configuration handled via script or something similar 2 Risky Accept Tom M3, Sprint A moved from M2, Sprint D
Tracing: perf trace scripting support Basically this means allowing perf to be built with the Perl and Python bindings, which turned out to be a headache last time. 2 Risky Dev (50%) Tom M3, Sprint A Moved from M2, Sprint B,

M3 Stabilize (Jul 27 to Aug 5)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
non-GPLv3 to Autobuilder non-GPLv3 build added to autobuilder 1 Done Beth M3, Stabilize M3, ww30 (Stabilization)
Be prepared for Distro upgrades Our release is right around the time of the 6monthly distro release dates, we should accommodate for this in our testing plan 2 Yes Done Jiajun M1, M2, M3, Stabilize check latest distribution in M1 Stabilize, M2 Stabilize, and M3 Stabilize and test them in milestone testing; Should we include more Distributions, besides fedora, ubuntu and opensuse?
Test Execution Plan Create a Test Execution Plan for the milestone and send to developers 1 Yes Done Jiajun M1, M2, M3, Stabilize M1 Stabilize; M2 Stabilize; M3 Stabilize

Stabilize schedule

Week 1

  • Day 1, 2: Weekly test pass
  • Day 3: Pre-Release Readiness meeting
  • If there are issues:
    • Day 4, 5: Fix issues and repeat Week 1
  • If there are not issues:
    • Day 4, 5 and beginning of Week 2: Complete a full test pass

Week 2

  • Day 1, 2, 3: Complete full test pass
  • Day 4: Release Readiness meeting
  • If there are issues, fix and repeat from Week 1
  • If there are not issues, proceed to Release phase

M3 Release (Aug 8 to Aug 15)

Follow Release Checklist, which includes:

  • Release is packaged on autobuilder site
  • Release is announced to community via mailing lists and blog

M4 (Aug 15 to Oct 6 -- Stabilize Complete Sep 6, Release Complete Oct 3)

Feature Name Description Priority Commit Status Owner Design Signoff Due Comments / Bugzilla Links
Audotbuilder infrastructure Bring up additional autobuilders and work with sysadmin to configure. 1 Yes Dev Beth Saul M3, Sprint A WIP
Lock kernel version lock the kernel version 1 Done Darren M4 moved from M2, Stabilize (ww29)
Yocto Project Development Guide This manual would be an over-arching document that frames the complete development cycle within Yocto Project. The idea here is that the document would be an umbrella document that spawned and referenced subsequent documents. The organization would be the first chapter overviews the major development pieces such as recipe creation, building, debugging, publishing, fail-safing, back-door hook creation, etc. This manual will also include migration information. Scoping would be about two weeks and length would probably be about 40 pages. Overall development time will likely take up to the release given my experience on the creation of the ADT manual (there is no uninterrupted time). Note: This document will include documentation on how to use multiple versions of a library (with clutter as the example library). 1 WIP ScottR M4 On track
Release Scripts Create Release Scripts that can be used for both a weekly release and for Yocto 1.1 release to be run by autobuilder (a week. testing on this may take longer) 1 Yes Dev Beth Saul M4 Moved from M2 Sprint A, will be done along with infrastructure upgrade
Open-source Newbie Information This information will be for developers new to open-source. These people do not know what IRC means. Targeted for developers coming from a non-open-source environment. I think the best place for this information would be the website. I haven\'t looked yet but I suspect information already exists on the web. For Yocto it will be a matter of collecting the best and most useful information, organizing it and properly referencing/leveraging it. 1 Done ScottR M4 M4, this is part of the Yocto Development Guide.
Performance Improvements - documentation f) Document performance best practices (e.g. no premempt in kernel, use server kernel on ubuntu) 2 WIP Saul/ScottR M4 moved from M2, Sprint C
Update Quick Start for 1.1 Ensure Quick Start guide has latest 1.1 information, including details on how to use Image Creator. 1 Not started ScottR M4 Moved from M3, Sprint A, on track
Update Reference Manual for 1.1 Ensure Reference Manual has the latest 1.1 information, including details on how to use Image Creator. 1 80% ScottR M4 Moved from M3, Sprint A
Update Kernel Architecture Manual for 1.1 Update Kernel Architecture Manual for 1.1 1 WIP ScottR M4 Yocto 1.1
Update ADT Manual for 1.1 Update Kernel Architecture Manual for 1.1 2 Not Started ScottR M4 Hopeful

M4 (Aug 15 to Oct 6) Release Schedule

Group Check Point Description Priority Due Date Owner Comments / Bugzilla Links
Project Master build 1 first master build 1 Aug-16 Beth
Project Master build 2 second master build 1 Aug-23 Beth
Project Master build 3 third master build 1 Aug-30 Beth
Project Release Candidate 1 RC1 generated 1 Sep-6 Beth
Project Release Candidate 2 RC2 generated 1 Sep-13 Beth
Project Release Candidate 3 RC3 generated 1 Sep-20 Beth
Project Doc Freeze docs pulled into master 1 Oct. 6th Scott Rifenbark
Project Release Candidate 4 RC4 generated 1 Oct. 6 th Beth
Project Release Readiness Release Readiness Meeting 1 Oct. 17th Song
Project Yocto 1.1 final release final release 1 Oct 17th Beth
QA Holiday QA team on holiday Oct 1 - 7 1 Oct 1-7 QA
Personal tools